Crowz Nest

Because it's time... as it was once before.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Port Murray, NJ

I'm a bit old to be starting out in life again, but that's where I am. Sadly. Or gladly. It's where I am. Come along. Watch the fun. Inch by inch, row by row, gonna make this garden grow.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

A Lapful of Sublime

I was up at the farm again last weekend. I worked kitchen duty with two other ladies for a seminar weekend. It was, as usual, a very worthwhile seminar, with an unusually good group of folks in attendance. Crow & Hudson and I shared The Den with Heather & Tar, a human and a dog both of whom are uniquely easy to get along with. I suppose a weekend like this would not be what many consider a good time, but it's the bread and butter of my peace and grounding to be there, whether we're there solely for R&R, or there to work and learn.

This trip, however, was made more enjoyable by the presence of the latest litter. Spider produced a litter of 6 beautiful pups back in April. They were just three weeks old last Friday. We arrived Thursday evening, after having put in a full day's work and battling heavy traffic on the NY Thruway. I was exhausted when we got there around 9:30, but perked up when I found my friends in The Den. I took the time to install Crow and Hudson, and let them stretch their legs in the yard while I unpacked the car and stowed my stuff. Then I went up to the house with Suzanne. Spider greeted me happily and proudly led me to the box, where her plump little brood was contentedly grunting, groaning, and kicking with full bellies in activated sleep.

I'll let the pictures tell you what happens to the physical stress of a 5 hour drive in heavy traffic, and the emotional and psychological load from a rough week at work when you're in the presence of these babies. Seriously. You find the words for this.















































































My breathing changes. My muscles loosen. My eye softens. Memories of all the dogs who have shared my life course through me, and I feel all the potential and promise and love that each of these young lives hold.

I'll be back in June. Twice. The puppies will be older, larger, more opinionated and able. More fun? Absolutely. Yet, I think they arrive with all the power of what they will be, and it may never be more apparent and rich than it is at the start, when they lie in your open hand, trusting and confident that you will hold them safely. These are the luckiest. For them, there is little chance that this trust will ever be betrayed.

4 Comments:

Blogger flyingfish3 said...

OMG - I want one... or two!!! They're adorable!!!!

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Beth said...

I know exactly what you mean, and I think that is a big part of why this age is my very favorite.

My two most outgoing puppies will throw themselves backwards when I pick them up, not in an attempt to escape, at all, but just that they are absolutely, implicitly trusting and fearless that I will catch them and hold them on their backs so they can gaze at my face.

It is an awesome responsibility to not betray that depth of trust, not now, or ever.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Genny said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Buy FF14 Gold said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home