Crowz Nest

Because it's time... as it was once before.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Port Murray, NJ

I'm a bit old to be starting out in life again, but that's where I am. Sadly. Or gladly. It's where I am. Come along. Watch the fun. Inch by inch, row by row, gonna make this garden grow.

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Last morning of my mini-vacation

I'm sitting in the trailer at the farm, warming up with a cup of coffee, enjoying the final moments on the farm before I hit the road for home. Suzanne's gone down state to teach today and won't be home till late this evening. I've got the sheets and towels I used during my visit washed and in the dryer, the kitchen floor swept and scrubbed, the countertops scoured, and I've just come back from helping Wendy feed the barn. It's not all that cold, but it's really windy out, and it feels good to be out of it for a bit, with a nice cup of hot coffee in my hands.

Crow and Hudson have had a good time. There's been a fair share of excitement for them this time, as one group of cows keeps getting out of their pasture. They spend the day in the field behind our house, and at breakfast and dinner time, they saunter down the drive, about 30 feet away from the fenced yard where my guys are. It's funny to watch them, because they are more than willing to stare the dogs down, and the dogs respect it. They do bark at them, but it has a different timbre to it than when they bark at deer or other dogs at home. It's a far less excited, aroused bark, almost a greeting. There are young calves right now, and that amps up the willingness of the whole herd to be protective. Needless to say, this visit, I have not left the dogs out in the yard while I'm up at the barn. The cows are a sensible lot, and quite accustomed to dogs, but the fence is only those metal stakes and welded wire. It would be like paper under an onslaught of the weight of one of those girls if she took it into her head that the dogs were a threat to one of the babies. So, sadly, unless I knew exactly where the cows were, Crow and Hudson had to wait inside if I wasn't there.


I've got to say, there is probably nothing in the whole world cuter than a baby Highlander. They are just cuteness personified on the hoof, all round eyes and fluffy red coats, and softness. They make it hard to peel yourself away from the fields and out of the barn, despite the 30 mph winds in 30 degree temperatures. In fact, you don't even notice that you're cold, you're having so much fun with the animals, until you finally come inside and realize how much you want a hot cup of coffee.

I've enjoyed my stay. It's wonderful to visit with my friend, and with all of the dogs and the other animals here. I don't even mind the drive to get here, though the same can't be said about the drive home and the prospect of work again in the morning. Somehow, whatever's waiting on the other end seems to flavor the trip. There are no words for being in a place where you belong. This place makes things real for me. I have yet to identify why or how, but the smallest of interactions with any facet of life here brings me back to my center, and back into balance.

2 Comments:

Blogger JPPO- J, Potential Puppy Owner said...

Very cute pictures of the calves. I can definitely see the attraction. Here's hoping you get to spend more and more time where you truly belong!

10:50 AM  
Blogger Knatolee said...

I think a Highland cattle calf is quite possibly the cutest farm animal imaginable!!

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home