Crowz Nest

Because it's time... as it was once before.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Port Murray, NJ

I'm a bit old to be starting out in life again, but that's where I am. Sadly. Or gladly. It's where I am. Come along. Watch the fun. Inch by inch, row by row, gonna make this garden grow.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Mike

I lost a friend on Tuesday night. He was too young to die. Brain cancer. The final 16 months of his time here were spent in a fierce battle against this awful disease. I lost my father, at just about the same age, 19 years ago to the same illness. In some ways, as hard as that was, this is harder. I think we know throughout our lives that we will one day have to face losing our parents. I don't think I ever fully acknowledged that I would one day have to lose my friends.

Mike was a large man. So were his heart and his spirit. He adored his wife and daughter. As a husband and a father, he was the gold standard. As a friend, he was unfailingly kind and generous. He spoke loudly, laughed easily, and lived largely. His presence was like a bear hug. Just knowing that he was your friend fortified your sense of safety in the world.

His absence, while not unexpected, still feels starkly sudden. I'm grateful to have known him, better for having had his friendship, and stunned by this loss. My dear friend, I am grateful for your rest now. When the sharpness of this death has eased, I know that the kind presence of your spirit will be carried forward in all of our lives.

6 Comments:

Blogger flyingfish3 said...

He was a real sweetheart, just as his wife and daughter are. I know his passing will leave a large void in your soul, which hopefully can be filled by your wonderful memories of him.

8:49 AM  
Blogger John Going Gently said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Genny said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Reillybug said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Knatolee said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:31 AM  
Blogger JAI said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home