Crowz Nest

Because it's time... as it was once before.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Port Murray, NJ

I'm a bit old to be starting out in life again, but that's where I am. Sadly. Or gladly. It's where I am. Come along. Watch the fun. Inch by inch, row by row, gonna make this garden grow.

Sunday, April 04, 2010

We're BACK...

It's been a long while. I apologize. In September, my mother's death sort of brought some things to a full stop, and sent other things, deeply internal and personal things that were not Blog-fodder, into motion.

So, from August to April, what has been happening will largely remain un-blogged. Two seasons passed, fall and winter. Appropriately, they are the fallow seasons. And as Spring begins, we'll try to begin again, while we spare you photographs of every intrepid daffodil as it pushes through last fall's unraked leaves.

Two days ago, Crow had her 12th birthday. Three weeks ago, she experienced an episode of essential vestibular syndrome. Glimpsing her mortality was not a lot of fun, but the episode, as sobering as it was, reminded me that this girl has never been sick a day in her life. For an EPI dog, this is quite remarkable. Once we got her stabilized after she was diagnosed at the age of 2, she simply blasted her way through life joyfully, without missing a step. There are no words for how much this girl means to me. As she lies at my feet at this very moment, gnawing on the remnants of a buffalo shin bone, she looks like forever to me, and reminds me to stay in the moment. The loss of her older brothers within 6 months of each other just over a year ago, and the sudden death of her litter sister in December had already reminded me that we can only ever be sure of the moment we're in. It does me no harm to remember that every time I look into her remarkable eyes, nor to remember to thank her every day for the very special openness and connection she offers to me without fail. Happy Birthday, Crow.

Hudson, of course, cannot be left out. My boy is 9 now, approaching his 10th birthday in June. He has become an amazing companion in his own right. He still has that big-boy-dog energy and sweetness, the sum total of which is a "Goober" quality that makes me laugh every single day. He has never lost the "huh?" factor, but as he's matured he's slowly revealed his own brand of intelligence and insight. Crow walks by my side; Hudson stumbles on ahead, and circles around and amazes us both with his non-stop ability to be amazed himself, by the simplest things in life.

And so, we roll along. Perhaps, just as Hudson reveals his innate smarts, we'll slowly reveal some of the things that occurred between August and April. Many socks were knit. Both figuratively and literally, there is always something on the needles. Seasons and time passed. And we're all still here, and promise to blog more faithfully.

5 Comments:

Blogger flyingfish3 said...

Is THAT what it was? Cause I know something has kept me quiet for the past 6 months or more! ;-)

As for Crow and Hudson, what they bring you on a daily basis makes me reminiscent of Reggae and Soca. Something magical about them and their connection with us. Glad they are there to warm your soul.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Crowzma said...

Hey, look! It's my sister! Yes, you had the same thing with Reggae and Soca that I have with Crow and Hudson. It's magical. It's also critical to some of us.

8:04 PM  
Anonymous catslave said...

glad you're back

9:57 AM  
Blogger Southern Latitudes said...

Oh, how poetic. Perfect in thought, word and visual. I'm so glad you're back to blogging. I feel your peace and love for the things around you.

So happy Crow is doing better. I love to hear about Hudson too. I can't believe he's 9.
Your trip to the farm sounds delightful.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Genny said...

I'm so glad you're blogging again. I missed reading your wonderful posts about Suzanne's farm and Hudson and Crow and seeing all those great pictures. I can so feel the peace and harmony you must get at the farm. I have a little farm yearning myself. I can't believe Hudson is 9! Where does the time go? And I'm glad to know that Crow is better.

12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home