Crowz Nest

Because it's time... as it was once before.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Port Murray, NJ

I'm a bit old to be starting out in life again, but that's where I am. Sadly. Or gladly. It's where I am. Come along. Watch the fun. Inch by inch, row by row, gonna make this garden grow.

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Sometimes, you punt ...

It had been a long time since I'd tried to get some really nice pictures of the dogs. I decided that I'd try for some nice seasonal shots this afternoon, even though our autumn color has barely started yet (very, very late, after a very disappointing year in my garden - not much color around here this year at all.)

The dogs, when I went out with camera in hand, had already struck an amazing pose, sitting side by side, looking in opposite directions. The shutter on this old digital camera is very slow. When I framed this shot, it was perfect. By the time the shutter responded, Crow had shifted her position and spoiled the shot. Almost a good shot, but not what I wanted.

The dogs were happy enough to hang out on the patio, so I thought I'd see what I could get shooting from the other side. My yard is sloped, and the patio is terraced, so I thought this approach might afford me some interesting angles. I forgot, however, about the clutter in the background - wind chimes, patio furniture, and worst of all the covered grill, sitting like a great black mound in the center. Still it seemed worth it to me. I was interested in what I might get. (And there is always PhotoShop to fix things if you haven't screwed up too badly.) Apparently, Crow did not agree with me, and found the entire exercise immensely boring. (One really needs to click on this photo to get the full effect of just HOW bored Crow was.)

The second attempt produced marginally better results, but that background is what it is. And this time Hudson had turned, ruining the effect I was looking for.











I really liked being on eye-level with the dogs, but the background wasn't working for me. So I zoomed in to try to eliminate it.

Like I said. Sometimes, you just have to punt. Or take down the windchimes before you start a photo session. Or head off to PhotoShop.

3 Comments:

Blogger Janyne Kizer said...

I really like the photos. I know how difficult it is to get multiple dogs to cooperate! You did an admirable job. It doesn't hurt that the subjects are photogenic too!

7:54 AM  
Blogger Southern Latitudes said...

Crow looked very bored in that 2nd picture. I do like the last one best. I share your frustrations and I have one 1 dog to photograph. It's so hot here, Jackson is panting in every one of his photos w/ a pumpkin around him.

10:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think they all look wonderful!

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home