Crowz Nest

Because it's time... as it was once before.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Port Murray, NJ

I'm a bit old to be starting out in life again, but that's where I am. Sadly. Or gladly. It's where I am. Come along. Watch the fun. Inch by inch, row by row, gonna make this garden grow.

Thursday, June 21, 2007

The Doves

Only a few feet from my front door, atop the column on my front porch, a pair of mourning doves have built their nest. The mama and I have gotten quite used to each other.

Every evening, I've been bringing bird seed out to her, or a sprig of millet from the parrots' supply. I put it out, and I sit. I wait for her to begin cooing. She's calling to her mate. For all I know, he may be calling to her to let her know he's near, but I don't hear him first. I hear her. That's when I retreat indoors. Within moments he appears, and begins to gather my offerings.

Mama is quite beautiful, and lets me get very, very close. When the babies hatch, I'll leave them to feel safe, and I'll watch from indoors. But for now, I'm really enjoying being allowed close to my new little friend.

If you click on the picture you can see the lovely pale blue ring around her big brown eyes. There's much more color to her plumage than these pictures show. There are rusts and umbers on her head, and ivories and deep navies in her wings. She and her mate are both lovely creatures, studies in pastels and peace. In a very challenging and tumultuous time for me, the chance to witness the patience and devotion of these birds has provided an unexpected oasis for my soul.

4 Comments:

Blogger flyingfish3 said...

This is one of the few birds it seems, that we have in common, and funny enough, we have a pair of our own nesting in the pine tree behind our apartment.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Knatolee said...

Oh, how lucky you are! We have lots of mourning doves at our feeders but I have no clue where their nests are. I think they are the loveliest birds! Enjoy their peaceful presence.

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love these birds! and i miss them. we saw them all the time at the house we moved from three years ago. they even walked across the street (not much traffic). when the babes walked around a parent was always very near. enjoy!!!

12:42 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Aren't doves beautiful? I think they are such nice creatures to have around our backyard. We have a number of pairs who spend time wandering under our feeders eating the seed other birds have dropped.

Michigan's Legislature passed a law creating a mourning dove hunting season last year, BUT the voters overwhelmingly voted it down on a referendum ballot. I just can't imagine killing such peaceful, beautiful creatures.

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home