Crowz Nest

Because it's time... as it was once before.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Port Murray, NJ

I'm a bit old to be starting out in life again, but that's where I am. Sadly. Or gladly. It's where I am. Come along. Watch the fun. Inch by inch, row by row, gonna make this garden grow.

Monday, June 18, 2007

When you blog, you're out there ...

So, here I sit, minding my own business, checking e-mail before hitting the pile on my desk last Friday morning. Someone on one of the mailing lists I'm on has posted a message, saying that they'd been perusing some of the e-zines that morning, when they happened upon something that looked familiar. Idly, I clicked the link to see what might look familiar, and there, in the middle of an article about dogs having a sense of humor, lifted intact from this very blog, are my own words AND a photograph of Crow. No credit, no mention, no nothing. And no one ever asked my permission.

For what it's worth, I know that when you blog, you have to accept that you're out there, and that anyone who wants can lift your work. The fact that what you put on a web site or a blog is yours - you own the copyright - seems to go unacknowledged, as well as widely unobserved. It does seem to me, however, that if someone wishes to make a living as a writer, they ought to, out of a sense of respect for their own work, respect that ownership and ask permission. To do less is both unethical and unprofessional.

There. I've said my piece. And for what it's worth, the original can be seen in the December 22, 2005 entry in this very blog. The photograph is worth clicking on in this version, but loses much in the resolution provided in the e-zine (which shall go unmentioned and uncited in this entry so you won't patronize them.) And by the way, if you write for an on-line dog-zine, and still have to ask if dogs have a sense of humor, you've already shown that you don't know what you're talking about.

4 Comments:

Blogger flyingfish3 said...

OMG! That is atrocious! Horrible! and that "so-called" writer should be ashamed of him or herself. I guess because your topic of discussion is often dogs, and that is probably something many people search for, you're a bit more vulnerable than I am. I guess there is something to be said for having interests that are pretty much invisible to everyone else. I've never received one comment from anyone I don't know! I'm sorry some asshole stole your words!

10:28 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Well, a quick perusal of the laws of Intellectual Property has led me to think that while it's not illegal for this author to take your words, it may be illegal for him to use your photo because they copied it and hosted it on their server.

Of course you're probably a better person than I am and have probably let this go already ;)

11:52 AM  
Blogger Knatolee said...

While I'm not surprised, I AM appalled. Scumballs.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Southern Latitudes said...

Just awful. That's not a writer, That's a plagerist!

I remember that original story.

8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home