Crowz Nest

Because it's time... as it was once before.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Port Murray, NJ

I'm a bit old to be starting out in life again, but that's where I am. Sadly. Or gladly. It's where I am. Come along. Watch the fun. Inch by inch, row by row, gonna make this garden grow.

Friday, March 30, 2007

Flag

Flag is gone. Earlier this week, I got e-mail from my friend, Suzanne, that Flag, a Jersey/Holstein steer who came to her farm during the summer of 1997 as a baby, was found dead in the field that evening.

Flag was a very special soul. One could lean on Flag's side and feel instantly connected to the earth.





There was a peace and a stillness in Flag that he generously shared with anyone who made themselves open to it.



In return for peace given, Flag was open to scratches received. There are spots on a steer that a steer cannot easily reach to scratch. Heaven was not far away for either of us in this give and take.

I used to spend a lot of time on the farm, visiting John and Suzanne and all of the animals about once a month. The events in my own life over the past few years, and the shifts in Suzanne's schedule have meant that I haven't been to the farm in a very long time. I always know I can go there, and will be welcome there, and in carrying that within, I have always assumed that Flag would be there.

I will have to accept Flag's presence in a different way. Flag will always be a part of the farm for me. But now, I will have to be open to his spirit, which has joined Jeremy's, and Ming's, Charlotte's, Carson and Vali's, and a host of others. All of them have always been there for me, and I know Flag will be, too. But I will miss leaning into the solidness of Flag's strong, gentle body, and will have to settle instead for the largeness of his heart which is forever a part of the heart of the place.
Peace, Flag. Peace and sweet grasses, sunshine and love, wherever you are. Thank you for being a part of my life. Your presence was huge; your absence just as large. Your spirit brings life to both.

3 Comments:

Blogger sibtigre2 said...

What a special animal. He will definitely be missed. Luckily, his presence will always be felt by those who choose to be open to it. You are blessed for having know him.

10:08 PM  
Blogger Knatolee said...

Oh no, not Flag!! I remember him well, from the first time I saw photos of you with him. What a wonderful animal... he will be sorely missed. I love cows.

8:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Flag's energy does not waver. Rest on it and draw from it.

Be well, my sister.

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home