Crowz Nest

Because it's time... as it was once before.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Port Murray, NJ

I'm a bit old to be starting out in life again, but that's where I am. Sadly. Or gladly. It's where I am. Come along. Watch the fun. Inch by inch, row by row, gonna make this garden grow.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

More fun with knitting

My hairdresser, Jen, is expecting her first child in March. Jen's an unusual hairdresser - tomboy through and through, drives a Harley, skydives, definitely keeps up with the boys ... she's been gagging on the baby stuff, all pinks and powder blues. I wanted to make something for her, but wasn't sure what I could make that wouldn't be white, that awful bon bon green, or one of the shades of baby blue or pink.

Last year, my friend Janie sent me a box of wonderful needle point wool. This comes in tiny amounts per skein, but in lovely, rich colors. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it, as there wasn't a lot of any one color. And just this past fall, a wonderful knitting book had fallen into my hands. This is the Mason Dixon knitting book, written by two ladies who have a great knitting blog, from which I've picked up a number of tips and stitches. Fun stuff, if you're into that sort of thing (which, clearly, I am.)

In the book, one project caught my eye, but I sort of forgot about it until the drive to make something for Jen arose. Then, as I was doing the dishes one evening, it all came together as inspiration. So, here is the start of my baby blanket for Jen's baby, using the needlepoint wool, and the log cabin knitting technique I pulled from the Mason Dixon book.


The colors are, as usual when I take a flash shot of my knitting, disappointingly bleached out. They're much deeper and richer in person. This is fun. As you add each color, the character of the whole piece changes. I find myself sitting up knitting well past the point when I should be in bed, getting my desperately needed beauty sleep.

What are the odds that I'm ever actually going to give this one away?

5 Comments:

Blogger flyingfish3 said...

Oh, Cool! You BETTER give it away! It was inspired by her and her baby! OK, if you don't, I won't tell.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Phyllis said...

Wow! That's turning out beautiful! As a pastel-hating parent, I am sure your hairdresser will love it.

Who decreed that babies need pastel anyway??

6:57 PM  
Blogger Knatolee said...

I'd say the odds are small! It is beeyootiful!!!

10:41 AM  
Blogger sibtigre2 said...

*That* is turning out gorgeous! Now I'm going to have to try it! And I agree with Dephal! Who the heck made the decision that all baby stuff needed to be pastel?

7:14 AM  
Blogger Crowzma said...

I've actually tried to avoid pastels for baby stuff for years, as I loathe the choices myself. But with limited time, I sometimes found myself face to face with some pretty limited yarn selection. Then I realized that baby things DON'T need to be made with baby yarns. My first deviation from the expected was to pick prime colors and make a regular afghan in a more suitable size. I loved it - another one I hated to give away.

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home