Crowz Nest

Because it's time... as it was once before.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Port Murray, NJ

I'm a bit old to be starting out in life again, but that's where I am. Sadly. Or gladly. It's where I am. Come along. Watch the fun. Inch by inch, row by row, gonna make this garden grow.

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Swingin' on my birthday

It's my birthday. It's been my birthday all weekend. I went out to dinner with some good friends on Friday night - not because it was my birthday, but because they'd gathered in town enroute to their annual Martha's Vineyard week, and they invited me to come and have dinner with them. We gathered at Lisa's. Rhoda, Sandy, and Line were there, and Kathy came along, too. It was great to see them all. We had a great dinner, and they surprised me by treating me for my birthday. And I got more crow stuff! Thanks, ladies.

Joe came on Saturday, surprising me not only with his own lovely gifts, but with his role as (quite a bit more than) courier for my sister, Cathy. He arrived with her gift - a yard swing - which we then proceeded to put together. Well, he put it together. I served as little more than handy support for some of the parts, and delivered an occasional tool or nut or bolt to hand in a timely fashion.

Once assembled, Crow declared it good.













Today, I went and rode Buc, something which has always pleased me to do, but which has lately become deeply satisfying. It's not just that I've begun to put the basics together predictably; it's also that Buc and I have really begun to develop a deep friendship and a powerful bond. It's noticeable when I'm riding. Sometimes I feel as if I do no more than think about what I'm about to ask him to do and he gives it to me. But it's also present in all of our interactions, from the moment I go out to collect him, to the moment when I turn him out.
Today, as I fed him the last of the carrots I'd brought him, and stepped back from him so he could go find the rest of his herd, he took a moment to nuzzle me and hang his head over my shoulder before he left. Then he turned, and raised his head into the air, sniffing. He let out a call, and waited for the reply that came from the back field. And then he cantered off to join his mates. I stood at the gate, watching him go all the way until he disappeared through the distant wind break, struck not only by his beauty, but also humbled by the friendship he had shown me.

I have many gifts in my life everyday. Today, my birthday, was a good day to count them.

8 Comments:

Blogger serenwhipety said...

Hey now, happy birthday! Good thing you talk about these important milestones on your blog because otherwise the memory-impaired among us would be forever clueless...

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Wish you many, many more. I love the swing. Does this mean Crow has claimed it and she might share it with you?

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! It sounds like you had a peaceful and enjoyable weekend. I wish you many more of those (and it doesn't have to be your birthday to have one either!).

7:57 PM  
Blogger Knatolee said...

Heeeey! HAPPY BURFDAY!!!!! I love the swing.
You are a Taurus like my Mum was. :)

11:54 AM  
Blogger Crowzma said...

Actually, I'm a Taurus/Gemini cusp, more frequently listed as a Gemini than as a Taurus. Either way, I believe this probably puts me down as a bullheaded schizophrenic.

11:59 AM  
Blogger flyingfish3 said...

Thanks to Joe, I love the swing too and I hope it provides the peaceful refuge that it was intended to provide. The yard was screaming for it - I could hear it all the way down here!

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy belated Birthday! Sounds like you had a good time.

3:03 AM  
Blogger Southern Latitudes said...

Happy Birthday Ginny! What a lovely day you had. Buc is so sweet.

I love the picture of Crow claiming that swing.

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home