Crowz Nest

Because it's time... as it was once before.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Port Murray, NJ

I'm a bit old to be starting out in life again, but that's where I am. Sadly. Or gladly. It's where I am. Come along. Watch the fun. Inch by inch, row by row, gonna make this garden grow.

Friday, January 25, 2008

Christmas in January

When I got home today, there was a slip in my mailbox saying that an insured package was waiting for me at the post office. I knew who it was from (Suzanne,) and I knew it was my Christmas present, but I didn't know what it was. And, since I was dying of curiosity, I rushed the dogs through their exercise so I could run back out to the post office before it closed and collect this package.

I can't describe what it's like to open a box and find a likeness of someone you love staring up at you from a completely unfamiliar medium, and yet instantly to recognize them. It happened to me once before, when Beth and Deb sent me a memorial stone with Beckett's image in stained glass inlaid into concrete.

I brought the box inside and laid it on the table. Crow and Hudson's noses were glued to it. They knew it had come from Suzanne, clearly, and were gulping great volumes of information about their relatives from the outside of the box. They were almost as curious as I was, so I hurried to find my knife and cut the box open.

As soon as I opened it, I saw that there were German Shepherd plaques of some sort inside, wrapped individually in bubble wrap, and securely taped. The first one I pulled out of the box was Hudson. As I pulled off the wrapping, I instantly knew it was him. The impact of the beauty of this thing was so powerful that I had to sit down as I ran my fingers over the grains.

Then, in a rush, I realized that the remaining piece in the box had to be Crow. I felt such an urgency to see it that my fingers fumbled with the tape secured around the bubble wrap. The harder I tried to unwrap it, the more I fumbled. I finally took the exacto blade, slowed myself down, and carefully cut the last bit of tape away. And there she was; just as surely as the first piece had been Hudson, the second was my beautiful Crow.

Suzanne had these commissioned. They were done by an artist out in Wisconsin named Sue Lienau. I think these are stunning. They're much more impressive in person than they are in the pictures. It's worth clicking on the photographs for a larger image. They're done in wood, of course, and each piece is individually shaped and polished. They're substantially sized, about 16 inches tall. There's something so indescribably alive about them, I just sit and run the tips of my fingers over them,

Now I just have to figure out where to hang them. Right now, they're sitting on the mantle in the living room and I've barely been able to take my eyes off of them all evening. Thank you, Suzanne, and thank you, Sue. What an amazing gift, and what amazing talent!

7 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

Oh! Just the photos are enough to take my breath away. They must be stunning in person!

9:14 PM  
Blogger flyingfish3 said...

These are really incredible! How nice of Suzanne to have these done for you. I wonder how long it took the artist to do. I also wonder how she captured them so perfectly without seeing them in person. Very cool.

7:09 AM  
Blogger me and my GSDs said...

They are gorgeous, Ginny (as are their canine models.) What a wonderful gift from Sue. I have had a "generic" GSD intarsia for years that I love, how wonderful to have custom made ones that are obviously your own dogs. I would love to do something like that of my own dogs some day. The link showing the pieces in process is very interesting.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Rebecca Hickman said...

What a beautiful tribute.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Rebecca Hickman said...

Hi, again. What a nice coincidence that we both work in libraries.

I'd like to expand my blurb about Hotel New Hampshire. May I quote you?

7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ginny, the woodwork is remarkable! Sent the photos to both of my sons who dabble in wood every now and then. Both dogs are precious. I can see that bit of gray in their hair that we all hate to see on our dogs as they age. I can clearly remember when each of them were babies. Where on earth did the time go?

9:32 AM  
Blogger sibtigre2 said...

These are absolutely gorgeous!! What a thoughtful gift. :)

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home