Crowz Nest

Because it's time... as it was once before.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Port Murray, NJ

I'm a bit old to be starting out in life again, but that's where I am. Sadly. Or gladly. It's where I am. Come along. Watch the fun. Inch by inch, row by row, gonna make this garden grow.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

An autumn day

I drove to work this morning at 6:00 a.m. under the milky light of a setting full moon. It was just incredible. The deer thought so, too, and the first half of my drive was a dodgy game of missing deer while dealing with people driving too closely behind me - something about which I'm a tad sensitive since my accident in March.
Call me crazy, but if I can't see your headlights, I'm thinking if I have to brake suddenly, you're either going to be in my back seat or end up chewing on your engine parts. Point proven on March 14th - my car's damage, though considerable, was not visible to the eye. The car which rear-ended me looked like it had hit an IED, and a very effective one at that. So go figure why folks want to drive like that in the pre-dawn hours on deer-ridden roads.

At lunchtime, I walked over to the ticket office with a couple of colleagues, only to discover that tickets to the forum appearance of Maureen Dowd are already sold out. Not surprising. At least the walk gave me an excuse to be out on this amazingly bright and colorful Indian summer day.

As I left the library at 2:30, my friend Beth wished me a safe drive home and said "Enjoy it. It's gorgeous out there." And you know? It is. As of earlier this week, I was thinking that fall is late, or not coming, or going to be not such a pretty one this year. As of today, it's here, and it's splendid. I no longer have to look to my knitting project for the best example of fall colors (though it's pretty yarn, isn't it?) These definitely turned out to be "fall" socks.


I arrived home and took the dogs out, as I always do, and discovered that on a clear Indian Summer afternoon, there's not much difference between my back yard and a cathedral filled with magnificent stained glass windows. Here are some shots from my back yard.


This is the ancient maple tree right outside my back door.
















Whoops. Time to clean the gutters soon.














Hudson loves leaves. I think I have a photograph of him in the autumn leaves from every year of his life. Here's the latest. What a guy! I think he just gets more handsome with age.

6 Comments:

Blogger flyingfish3 said...

Those leaves are beautiful! OK, maybe I do miss the fall after all! If only winter didn't have to follow it!

Sorry the asshole had to ruin your drive in.

Last night I was looking at that same full moon (is it really the same one?) obscurred by a thin layer of clouds and watching the freakiest performance of distant lighting dancing all over the sky. Purple, pink and blue veins flittering all over the place - it was really amazing... the outer fringes of Omar.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Reillybug said...

WOW, at least you guys are having fall weather! Our only sign that it's fall is that the leaves are changing. It's still in the 80's here during the day.....Too hot for my pansies.

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the leaves and hudson are beautiful and handsome indeed.

did you brng a leaf inside for duncan's cage? might he want to share in the joy of autumn?

2:42 PM  
Blogger Southern Latitudes said...

Oh you're making me so jealous for cool fall weather. My favorite childhood memories are fall in Western NY. I loved going to the parks and everything looking like your yard.

Hudson, well, he's always gorgeous.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Knatolee said...

Oh, I love the sock! Great fall colours!

ANd Hudson is quite handsome too. :)t7

7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He truly is handsome!

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home