Crowz Nest

Because it's time... as it was once before.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Port Murray, NJ

I'm a bit old to be starting out in life again, but that's where I am. Sadly. Or gladly. It's where I am. Come along. Watch the fun. Inch by inch, row by row, gonna make this garden grow.

Thursday, October 09, 2008

The downside of the rat

So, you thought perhaps this would be political? Nah ... I've had more of that than I can stomach. And those are rats with serious personality problems. At least some of them are. This is just more about Duncan, who fascinates me and intrigues me and amuses me and pleases me, and so far hasn't lied once.


Seriously, who could resist this cuteness? And seriously, any and all of these shots are worth clicking to enlarge if you love cute.



Or, perhaps you prefer this side?










Or this?












Or maybe a seriously roly poly cute belly floats your boat?














Now, if you are a true animal lover, even if you don't particularly love rats, you probably are all focused on those little button eyes, that curious expression, those utterly amazing whiskers, and you haven't even noticed the detail that would have driven my Mrs. Clean mother right up one wall and down the other, and would have had Duncan banned to the garage (where my hamsters ultimately ended up when I was in 7th grade, due to the "smell.") Duncan, by the way, is in my kitchen, and that's where he'll stay. Sorry, Mom. I was a really good kid and gave you little trouble. But I'm post-menopausal now, and I'll do what I want.

Duncan loves his hammock, even though it's billed as a "ferret" accessory, and even though the only one I could find for him was pink. The first couple of days it was in his cage, he would leave his fat butt pleasingly plump posterior sitting on the upper shelf of his cage, and would only put his front end in the hammock. But once he determined it was "good," he went in and he hasn't come out.

Hmmph ... I thought he was at least coming out to pee.
Apparently not. He's been annoyed when the hammock's removed for laundering, so I guess I'll stop on the way home tomorrow and get him another, so I can swap them out when one is in the laundry.

He's cute. He's funny. He's fun and loving and smart. And yes, before you go out and get one, there is a downside to a rat. More laundry.

9 Comments:

Blogger Reillybug said...

He is very cute! And I love the hammock!

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cute hammock but ew, he lays in his own pee? i didn't think any animal would do that...

2:27 PM  
Blogger Crowzma said...

Actually, the fleece lining so successfully wicks the urine, that while the outside was wet, the inside felt dry.

He's a baby... generally very clean. It surprised me, too.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

That is a little surprising, but as you said, maybe he's just young. After all, hooman little ones spend a lot of time wandering around in soiled diapers that first couple years! So I doubt Duncan is too far behind the curve :-)

He's really adorable.

9:51 AM  
Blogger flyingfish3 said...

Um... Yeah... I'm with Catslave on this one... Ew... You might have convinced me he was cute otherwise - as long as he's in pictures and not next to me. As I said, Ratatoullie has a lot to do with my "acceptance" of Duncan, as far as that goes! ;-)

9:20 AM  
Blogger Crowzma said...

Oh, come on. Click on that picture of his belly, and look at that cute little tongue peeking out as he concentrates on climbing. He's adorable!!

And hey! I had to diaper you when you were a baby. The facts of life are what they are - they don't, or at least shouldn't, effect how we feel about someone, even a little rattie boy.

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

in the "pic" duncan is tres cute. i hope you don't wash your clothes with his hammock, lol.

do your dogs give him piggy back rides? i'm sure if duncan fell off hudson or crow would 'gently' pick him up.....??????

10:30 AM  
Blogger Knatolee said...

Ignore these rat snobs!!! ;) Rattists! Rat-o-phobes! Duncan is totally adorable, and I love his little hammock. (And so does he, apparently.)

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww he reminds me of my Scribble! And yes, I need to get around to making some more hammocks. Scribble likes to them from the inside out!

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home