Crowz Nest

Because it's time... as it was once before.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Port Murray, NJ

I'm a bit old to be starting out in life again, but that's where I am. Sadly. Or gladly. It's where I am. Come along. Watch the fun. Inch by inch, row by row, gonna make this garden grow.

Thursday, June 01, 2006

It's raining...

It's been dry. Really dry. I can't even remember the last time it rained here, but locally, we've barely gotten more than a brief shower since March. When I got home from work, it was a steamy 90 degrees F, and thunder was rumbling all around, but the sky overhead was glaring, white, and the sun was blazing.

I had the doors open in the living room. Right around 6:00 p.m. the thunder storm rolled through. The wind picked up, and the air spilling through the living room felt wonderful after the dead, sodden air all afternoon.

It rained. It was a downpour. It was one of those storms that rattle around right overhead for a very long time, with percussive claps of thunder coming simultaneously with blinding bolts of lightning. It's a sensory delight. I think I can smell the lightning. I can feel the thunder in my stomach. I swear I can SEE the grass growing. The drought's been hard on the plants. I think I can hear them drinking. [Maybe the clematis that wasn't doing so well on my nightly watering will revive (3 of the 4 plants I planted seemed to be doing ok, but I'm not sure that the fourth one will make it...)]

Here's another view of my grateful, quenched garden, taken from the front porch (seet the back of the rocking chair?).
It's dropped 20 degrees. The storm's passed through. The air has a hint of freshness to it, welcome after a week of prematurely hot and sticky weather that came so suddenly I hadn't even taken down the storm doors. The only reason I'm not happier than I am is that my tractor is still in the shop. After having done it once before the heat struck, now that it's hot, I'm not looking forward to mowing again with the push mower my friend Cathy lent me, and now that it's rained, it's definitely going to need to be done ...

To paraphrase Meg Ryan in "Joe Vs. The Volcano," yeah, it's always something with me, isn't it?

6 Comments:

Blogger Knatolee said...

Your garden is looking very green! Lovely!

May I please send you some rain? I am choking on rain this year. We had a week straight of rain (after six straight months of rain), then a brief day or two of rest, and now we are working on another straight week of it. I know why everything in this province has green slime or moss on it, and why the slugs can grow to be a foot long!

9:11 AM  
Blogger Knatolee said...

PS Don't give up on the clematis too quickly (and remember, they like shade on their roots! Plant a low growing plant there, or find something to shade their toes.) Last year when we had a new fence put in, the guys annihilated two of my clematis. Or at least I thought so, until I found one growing last month! They can be quite resilient at times, despite their dainty appearance.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Crowzma said...

Ooo, ooo, I didn't remember that about clematis liking shade on their roots. Can I just mound peat moss around the base? Will that help?

6:25 PM  
Blogger Crowzma said...

And no, please don't send me any rain. We had more than 3.5 inches from Thursday evening until noon on Saturday - that's more than we usually get in the entire month of June. I think we caught up.

Yesterday, Joe came and cleaned my gutters. Hopefully, this will solve the problem of water seeping up through the kitchen floor due to the pooling along the back of the house that was caused by the cascades of water pouring off the edge of the roof....

But no, please keep your rain. I'm sure you need it more than we do...

9:14 AM  
Blogger flyingfish3 said...

I had no idea you were empathizing with our "dry season" down here in Barbados. Every day I would see a fire burning in the distance - usually a grass fire or cane fire that pops up here and there. One day I even watched a fire start in the grassy area right across the street from my office. The wind made it jump and spread and head towards the gas station across from us. It was comforting to see the fire department show up and quickly get that one under control. Then June 1st hit... day one of "rainy season" (aka "hurricane season"... yippee) so I'm sure I will be commenting on the unending rain in the very near future, but usually welcome after the increasing heat at this time of year.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Knatolee said...

I think peat moss would certainly help!

We were supposed to have 13 days of sunshine starting last Tuesday. What bullsh*t!! It started raining yesterday. It was raining most of today. I don't see no stinkin' sun in the forecast anytime soon.

I may be moving to a province with hellacious winters, but at least there's SUN!!!!

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home