Crowz Nest

Because it's time... as it was once before.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Port Murray, NJ

I'm a bit old to be starting out in life again, but that's where I am. Sadly. Or gladly. It's where I am. Come along. Watch the fun. Inch by inch, row by row, gonna make this garden grow.

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Flu stew

The week started out well enough. I went to the Boardwalk Kennel Club dog shows with Sue, Mike, and Travis. They were taking a small string of dogs, including A.C., and I took the opportunity to do what I love best (who knew one can be born to scoop poop so contentedly, and find such satisfaction in catering to the needs a bunch of dogs?), and went along to help. I had no expectations for A.C., but he surprised all of us, going Winner's Dog and Best of Winners on Saturday, and Winner's Dog, Best of Winners, and Best of Opposite (over specials) on Sunday. On Sunday, he was handled both to the point, and to the BOW and BOS by Travis, who is 13. He's got a lot of talent, but he's also got a lot to learn. A.C. carried the kid, and clearly won the point that day on merit. I was thrilled, and surprised to find I was mostly thrilled for Travis, who whupped up on both his mom and his dad with that win. Photographs of A.C.'s wins have not yet arrived, so for now, revel in his haul.
More rosettes in one weekend than I'd previously accumulated in more than 30 years of showing dogs.



I got home in time for the Super Bowl, and the Giants' incredible late come back. It was one of the best played Super Bowl games I can remember, and it capped with a victory an already victorious weekend.

Travis had been coming down with something all weekend. I went to work on Monday feeling like maybe there was something brewing in the back of my throat. Then, Monday evening while I was doing my consultations, the chills hit. I've never experienced such chills. They would hit, and my body would arch and spasm. I felt like I was doing a bad imitation of Linda Blair in the Exorcist, and I've never been so glad not to have Phone-A-Vision.

By Tuesday morning, the misery had hit. I didn't get much done all week. It was muddy outside, and I was too weak to even wipe off the dogs when they came in. There are still muddy footprints all over the house. I spent the week on the couch. All I was able to do when I got up in the morning was get up, make the bed, throw on my bathrobe, grope my way to the kitchen, and shiver and shake and tremble through making the dogs' breakfast. I did try to go back to bed. But, when I went back to it, it was unmade and occupied.


Entreaties to get him to move were successful by inches. I was too weak to resist that face, and he knew it. He won. I took to the couch. That's ok. My couch and I are one.

The boo-boo on his nose is from the frozen, gnawed
leather cover on the soccer ball. Poor baby. I can't resist him.



I slept all day Tuesday and Wednesday. Mail stacked up in the mailbox. Newspapers piled up on the doorstep. The bird feeders went unfilled (the wild birds, not the parrots - I made my weak, feeble way up to the parrot garret on my butt, too unsteady to navigate the winder steps any other way. I'm sure they'll say that I neglected them. They can, after all, speak - but shut up! I fed you, didn't I? Patience and a fever do not travel together well.)

Then, on Thursday, I was able to sit up some, and realize that I was still alive, foggy and gummy, but the fever of 103 had broken, and there might still be hope for my recovery. I was mind-numbed and bored, but my head still crashed enough that I couldn't read, and I could not really see the lap top screen for more than a few minutes at a time. Fortunately, KnitPicks to the Rescue!! One of the packages that had accumulated on my front step was my KnitPicks order. So, I finished up the last cocoa Gloss sock in a hurry (for future reference, 2 pair easily from 150 grams.) Now I am sitting looking at some yummy, yummy balls of embryonic socks in Essential Tweed tones of Inca Gold and Russet. The gold is already on the needle. Long live Magic Loop.

And finally, I paid my bills this morning (ok, about a week late, but I consider this last week as the Lost Week From Hell,) and our awful, springlike, unseasonable, horrible, icky too warm-weather has passed, we've hit the freezing point, and when I went to call in the dogs, they came - first Hudson at a canter, and then Crow at a trot in these pictures - running through the first flurries we've had since December. I want my winter back (can you tell I'm fully convinced that this weather is responsible for my flu? And it must be my commitment to fight global warming that's got me suddenly, unexpectedly, and quite diligently praying for snow.)
Ok, that's it, a sort of stew of thoughts from the Lost Week, just in the interests of keeping this blog fed. Oh, and I highly recommend the flu as a great kick start for rapid weight loss. Five days - 7 lbs. That's ok. I needed that.

11 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

Ginny, I am so sorry you were sick all week. That is definitely miserable. I got sick back in November while my husband was away, and the whole Tues-Thurs span of that week remains a blur in my mind. Just taking care of the dog and getting myself in and out of the shower each day was all I could manage. I ate ChikFilA for three straight days because all I had the strength to do was drive thru there a couple of times for sustenance. I did the same thing you did - laid on the couch for three straight days. Glad you're feeling better!

Angela and Tucker

7:17 PM  
Blogger Crowzma said...

You drove? I subsisted on toast and tea. I got in the car today for the first time (went to get my hair done - who knew that's an exhausting thing to do?) It's only a 10 minute drive. I was so dizzy and lightheaded by the time I got there that they took one look at me, plopped me into the chair, and handed me a hot cup of tea with lemon. I was lucky to make it home, too, but the dogs didn't treat me nearly as sympathetically.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Reillybug said...

Ginny,

You poor thing.... How terrible. Its bad when you are by yourself and you have animals to take care of too... Glad you are finally on the mend.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Janyne Kizer said...

I'm so sorry that you were so so sick. I'm thankful to hear that you are doing better now. Well enough to blog even!

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being sick is no fun, especially when alone and having fur and feather children to attend to. But then that is probably a good thing, might as well make toast and refill on liquids while you're up for them. Glad you are back to good health/feeling better. Hey, at least you didn't have to shovel :)

Nice ribbons, congrats!

11:30 AM  
Blogger Barbara Belzer said...

Double ungood yuck! Sorry you were knocked down so hard after a great weekend for AC. I agree that the weather has created the atmosphere for some wicked viruses to fester and attack!

Glad you're back in action. See... I do read your blog!

B

6:28 AM  
Blogger flyingfish3 said...

I'd like to know what you're going to do to get back of that mini neighbor of yours! I thought I heard Ziggy telling me he was being neglected! Or maybe he just meowed again!

Glad you're feeling better.

Big-Sis

6:51 PM  
Blogger Crowzma said...

Hey, what mini-neighbor? What??

6:58 PM  
Blogger Southern Latitudes said...

I thought I had written a response last week but I don't see it. Senility is setting in.

Anyhow, I hope you are feeling better by now. I loved the pictures of Hudson on the bed.

Also, I enjoyed looking at your sister's blog. How cool it must be to live in Barbados year-round. Happy Birthday to your Mom.

10:24 AM  
Blogger sibtigre2 said...

Awwww! I don't think I could've resisted Hudson either. He reminds of how Jack would look at me when he didn't want to move either.

And I *love* KnitPicks. It has got to be one of the greatest things around. :) I introduced one of my friends to them and she's hooked now too. lol

9:39 AM  
Blogger Knatolee said...

That's a lotta bling, baby! Congrats!

ANd you can have our winter. I think it's never going to end.

I just finished a hat for Gordon with Knitpicks "Elegance." Love their stuff! And they're all set up to ship to Canadians, with the duty and taxes worked into the price when you order.

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home