Crowz Nest

Because it's time... as it was once before.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Port Murray, NJ

I'm a bit old to be starting out in life again, but that's where I am. Sadly. Or gladly. It's where I am. Come along. Watch the fun. Inch by inch, row by row, gonna make this garden grow.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

It isn't boring me...

but maybe it's boring you. Right now, the Mets are on TV (nothing new there,) it's raining out so I don't have to worry about going out to sprinkle water on my newly planted plants (nothing new there either,) the dogs are tired (thankfully,) and there's some sort of buzzing insect rattling around inside the window, asking to be let out (I'll get to it ... if I make the dogs wait 'cause I'm blogging, the darned bee can wait, too,) it needs to be vacuumed in here (definitely nothing new there, even though I did it last night, and the night before, but did I mention it's raining? I only groom these guys outside these days.) Ooooo ... El Duque just got Abreu on a swinging strike on an off speed breaking ball ... impressive.(Darned slow shutter on this digital camera - there were two sleeping dogs when I framed this, and only one awake dog by the time the shutter opened and closed, but the hair on the carpet never moved.)

Ok, Ok. I hear you. It's boring you. But it's my life, and if I'm finding delight in the tiniest details of keeping this boat afloat, I consider it to be a childlike, charming trait that was missing in me for most of my adulthood.


Besides, when you come home and see the new blooms along your front path every day, and realize that your hands, your efforts, your attention helped nurture this beauty who could be anything less than enchanted with the details of their own little corner of the galaxy?Those are baby grapes in there. See them?










This is celosia. If any plant ever managed to look like a flame, this is the plant. I really like these, and really like it that they're doing so well.











That's Hens and Chicks, and some yellow something. I don't know what it is. It's at least the third sort of ubiquitous ground cover that's saving me from needing to mow large portions of the front yard.

I wondered what these strange plants would yield. I don't know what sort of lily this is, but it's the most spectacularly deep and vivid orange imagineable and it smells like a heaven full of spices and citrus.

Excuse me. I've got to go let a bug outside.

8 Comments:

Blogger Knatolee said...

I'm damned if I can remember the name of that yellow thing... it's some rock garden plant that i have bought in the past! I will have to look in my encyclopedia.

I am jealous of your grapes. THey are going to be yum-yum-yummy when they grow up!

8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They might go by another name but Bob calls the orange lily a day lily. They are very pretty, we have some spread out on our property. I love your celosia. Are they annuals or perennials? I hope perennial since I'm lazy and not the gardner you are.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Crowzma said...

It's not a day lily, though the blooms are similar. Day lilies have a different sort of foliage than these and aren't quite as deeply orange, vibrant and brilliant in color. I *think* these are tiger lilies, but I'm not 100% certain. For those interested in id'ing things, these are the plants in front of the fence in my "Inch by Inch" entry from a few days ago. You can't see them clearly, but you can see that they aren't day lily plants in those shots.

I think it's funny you're calling me a gardner. I am just feeling my way and know precisely NOTHING...

10:35 AM  
Blogger Crowzma said...

P.S. Celosia are annuals.

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, since I'll sprinkle or hold a hose over what's there and you actually get down on your hands and knees to plant and weed (I do very little to some weeding) makes you a gardner in my book...Tiger lily? Isn't she in Peter Pan? :)

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why yes, I do believe those ARE tiger lillies. How lucky!

7:35 PM  
Blogger flyingfish3 said...

Funny, our tiger lillies just recently came and went. I don't remember noticing them last year, although we were already here by the time they would have. I don't really know how they and other things like them - like the mangoes - know when it's April or May or June here, but they do... Guess the slight rise in temperature between the "seasons" is enough to wake them up and tell them to bloom.

Your "Hens and Chicks" look like artichokes....

6:46 AM  
Blogger Knatolee said...

I love hens and chicks. I have some growing in an old blue teapot... some come right out the spout!

Your garden is wonderful, Ginster!

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home