Crowz Nest

Because it's time... as it was once before.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Port Murray, NJ

I'm a bit old to be starting out in life again, but that's where I am. Sadly. Or gladly. It's where I am. Come along. Watch the fun. Inch by inch, row by row, gonna make this garden grow.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Of flowers and pigs

Last week, it was my birthday. I got flowers from my brother, Mark, and his wife, Joannie. And from my sweet friend, Stephanie, who shares my birthday, and always sends me something to make my day special. We never made a big thing about birthdays when I was growing up, but you'd think I could at least remember that my own is coming, and that it's Steph's birthday, too. But every year, she surprises me by remembering our day, and every year, I'm a dolt, and forget it's coming. So, right now, I've got flowers everywhere but in my hair (with apologies to the Cowslips.)

Here are the flowers inside.


















And another view.















And yet another.
















Yup. Before we even get out the door to my garden, it's a veritable riot of flowers.






The nice thing about having a birthday in May is that even if no one were to send you flowers, you've got flowers. As I was surveying my garden this evening to see what yet has to be done (a LOT of weeding yet to go, mulch not yet down, edging, annuals, etc., etc.) it had just rained lightly, and everything looked so beautiful. I am continually surprised and delighted by my garden.

Irises are among my favorite flowers. They looked so pretty covered with rain drops as the sun came out again.

















They make such a dramatic statement, don't they?










This year, these little white star flowers have come up in the most amazingly perfect places, kneeling around the bases of stumps, peeking through other ground cover, and popping out among the hostas.

I don't know if they were intentionally planted, or if they are wildflowers. I didn't get here until August in 2005, but I didn't see these little flowers last year or the year before. They're just here this year, little white stealth stars. I like them. Maybe I ought to buy myself a field guide to wildflowers, eh?

And ye, verily, on the seed packet it said that in the third year, the clematis would learn to climb, and fulfill your expectations. Three years ago, I planted these from seed. The first year, I thought they'd died. The second year, I was thrilled to see them come back, and over the moon when they each put out a couple of blossoms. And now, in their third year, behold the promise!


Aren't they pretty? And doesn't the arbor gate need a coat of paint? I hear ya. I'll get to it, but now it's got to wait till fall.












And because every garden needs a pig, my friend Cindy (Hi, Cin! The least you can do is comment now that I've mentioned you!) bought me this little guy at a barn sale at which we'd stopped a couple of Saturdays ago. He's very cute, and has a charming little curly tail. He's proven to be the perfect companion for my little metal garden crow. (And just look at that creeping sedum creep, would you?)

8 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

Beautiful flowers (and little piggies!) Ginny! We're finally getting all our blooms here and they are so pretty. Even my hydrangea (rudely uprooted and potted, as part of the pool project) is thriving and trying to flower. I can't wait!

Angela, Tucker and Sinjun @RB

10:06 PM  
Blogger Southern Latitudes said...

Happy Belated Birthday Ginny. Wonderful flowers, you have.

I actually got to see Steph, a little late, for her birthday. I was up in Atlanta for a big series of parties for family members. I was so glad to see her & Angela.

Maybe one day we'll get to meet up too.

11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ginny, I had two windows open and sent you a comment made for someone else (tabbed browsing can be dangerous!). Geez, I shouldn't try doing anything before noon! BTW, your iris' are blooming before mine and your hostas are twice the size of mine. Been a long, hard winter up here and a cold, cold spring. You are SO lucky.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Reillybug said...

Ginny

I'm glad you enjoyed your flowers and you are not a dolt :).... Birthdays are HUGE in my family so I tend to remember them. Especially those of people who are very special to me.

Your irises are beautiful and I LOVE the piggy!

1:34 PM  
Blogger sibtigre2 said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I need to get over here more often...

4:18 PM  
Blogger flyingfish3 said...

The flowers are absolutely gorgeous. I also always loved Iris's and the lillies are gorgeous too. Wish I could grow them here, but it's too hot....

8:02 AM  
Blogger Genny said...

Happy birthday, Ginny! Your garden is beautiful. I really miss having a garden to putter around in and having my own plants to take care of. I'm so happy that you're enjoying your little spot of heaven.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Knatolee said...

Oh my, flower-o-rama! Belated birthday greetings. Your garden is looking wonderful and I adore the pig.

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home