Crowz Nest

Because it's time... as it was once before.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Port Murray, NJ

I'm a bit old to be starting out in life again, but that's where I am. Sadly. Or gladly. It's where I am. Come along. Watch the fun. Inch by inch, row by row, gonna make this garden grow.

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Objects, finished and begun

The knitting goes on. Years ago, it used to be constant, too, but then I got the Shih Tzus in 1995, and for the first time, I had a dog who found yarn irresistible. I took the path of least resistance, and put things away. That turned out to be, more or less, for about a decade. And when I picked it up again, I rediscovered the zen of knitting.

Now, I twitch if there isn't a project on the needles. This year, apparently, is the year of the sock. I finally tried some self-patterning yarn. After working with wool and silk blend this past winter, I couldn't believe how icky acrylic felt in my hands. But, as with the book ethic (you start it, you finish it) I forced myself through. I wasn't in love with this yarn. But the colors are bright, and the patterns were sort of fun to watch emerge, and these will make a nice enough gift for someone as "house socks. I even have someone in mind.

While the acrylic socks were on the needle, I placed another order with KnitPicks for some more fingering weight sock yarn. I got some of the self-striping merino, and some more of the Essential tweed, this time in a black tweed, which should be really pretty worked up. While I was at it, out of curiosity, I ordered a book on doing two socks at once in the magic loop method, and a 47" inch size 0 circular needle.

Ok, I'm thoroughly in love with these colors, and these are going to be really fun socks. And they're going to be mine! This is inside-out, which is the way they're worked, so you're just seeing the backside of the left-twist faux cabling here, which just looks like ribbing. Aren't these going to be fun to wear? The merino is soft and bouncy. The socks are going to be nice and light weight, but warm. And bright - just the perfect counter for my Goth outfits, right?

Here they are, turned right-side out. It's a simple pattern, with just a little something to amuse your hands every third row. Before they're done, there will be more yarn to order and more socks to look forward to. I'm not sure if I love this technique - I've never been a big fan of playing with multiple balls of yarn at one time, and even though this only involves 2, that does mean a bit of untwisting to tend to, plus an awful lot of arranging cables and socks before beginning each round - and after steaming through a sock every two nights, I'm not sure that this is actually going to deliver me to a complete pair of socks any faster than doing them one at a time, but when I'm done, I'll be done, and I'll have a new pair of socks to put on. I have to say, it's a kick to work with the self-striping stuff, and I can't wait to wear these. Just another reason to hate summer!

6 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

Oh yeah, Miss "Oh no, I like browns and blacks!". Mmmhmmm, I see how it is. Browns and blacks with a kick of rainbow thrown in for good measure!

Those are some seriously bright socks you've got there (says the woman wearing neon pink handknits under black boots). You're a better woman than I am to have finished the acryllics.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Crowzma said...

In truth, the colors aren't as bright as they look in the photo! And much as I love the colors, I'll probably end up being pretty selective about where I wear these.

But you're right. I'm busted ... these are not brown or black.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Reillybug said...

I think they are awesome! I am envious of you knitters out there!!!

9:51 PM  
Blogger flyingfish3 said...

I think you should move to Alaska... lots of cold nights and single men! ;-)

3:44 PM  
Blogger sibtigre2 said...

Beautiful! I'm envious you can make socks! Okay, I have made socks before...I just can't seem to do them very well...I guess I just need to practice more. Glad to see there are few other people out there who like the fun socks. :) And I, too, am impressed you made it through the acrylic ones...there are very few acrylic yarns out there that I like working with anymore...

3:46 PM  
Blogger PenDaisy said...

Oh, Ginny, I so wish I could knit! I can't even find lessons around here.

I just love your knitting projects, so keep sharing them, please...

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home